Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shirley, Barbara, a Microwave?

The title says it all...well almost. For some reason people here go crazy when the temperature hits above 75. (we don't have to talk about life without air conditioning in 90 degree weather, I am coping) Sometimes the weather makes people say strange things..i guess. I have been called a lot of weird things in my neighborhood. Usually they are really generic however like, "white girl", "baby", "little momma", and a various assortment of other endearments. This week however the men in my neighborhood have outdone themselves. Sunday was a beautiful day. Think 80 degrees, sunshine, and a cool breeze after months of horrendous freezing cold temperatures. I got home from church and was heading to the store to buy some items. (I am actually really proud of what I bought (all the ingredients for a birthday celebration for under $10) maybe I should write a book). I was heading out the door and two gentlemen walked by. I said my friendly hello and one of the said, "hey Shirley". No... I don't really understand. Perhaps my sundress made him think of an older lady named shirley...or maybe I just look like a shirley. Also this week I was called Barbara by another person in our neighborhood. Sometimes I think people look at me a quickly try to insert a generic name.
The next best part of my week came when after work one day Lu and I were sitting on the front porch. We saw a man get out of a car with a microwave. It seemed normal enough, perhaps his had broken and a friend had given his. We thought nothing of it until we heard a scraping sound. Yes, this man was dragging the microwave by the cord along the sidewalk. Best moment of my week.
Moments like that are when I love my neighborhood the most. Deep joy.

1 comment:

The Carters said...

haha love it...

all of it.

:)


and i love you!