Friday, November 7, 2008



Life has been really hectic the last few weeks. With the Phillies winning the world series and Barack Obama being elected president, Philadelphia has been in a constant state of euphoria. Regardless of your sport or political opinions I think that most people would have enjoyed the absolute craziness of the past few weeks here in Philly. Who doesn't like to hear random gun shots into the air signaling happiness instead of anger.





Ever since I have gotten here to Philly I have been bombarded with information about the presidential election. People here were so excited about voting and having the opportunity to bring change to our nation. I will stay politically bi-partisan in this post, but I can tell you that I have met not one John McCain supporter since I have been in Philly. Walking down Chester Avenue I see tons of t-shirts with Barack Obama's picture on them. People are really excited. I decided to register and vote in Pennsylvania and had a really great experience going to the polls Tuesday morning with about 100 of my neighbors. There was just an air of excitement as people stood in line for 30 minute to an hour to vote.





That night my roommates and I headed over to our neighbors Vincent and Marjories house to watch election coverage, because we of course have no television. We sat for a few hours watching them assure us that there was no possible way that McCain could win, but never coming out and saying that Barack was going to win. When the announcement came our neighbor Marjorie danced around in her bathrobe singing impromptu songs about Obama and stomping and calling all her friends and family.





It was a good day. Not because the right person got elected or because the wrong person lost. It was a good day because I got to witness history being made. I got to sit and watch as hundreds of years of oppression and hate from both sides of the racial divide shifted just a little bit (not enough) as an African American became president of the United States. Regardless of your political views on the "most liberal man in the world" this is pretty cool.





Anyway, if I made you mad I apologize. The rest of my week has been good. Last Sunday my roommates and I and all the other Mission Year participants in the city went through commisioning. We all created and signed covenants together for our upcoming year of service. It was a special night that I really enjoyed. The picture above is of our the covenant that my team made together.

Christmas is right around the corner. I saw shops covered with Christmas decorations on my way here to U Penn campus. Sick. Hope everyone has a wonderful week covered in the love and protection of God and only God.

Rebekah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen, sistah.